This message from Kernagis Dental Excellence in Tampa is a little different. We’ve got some teeth trivia for you.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription medication can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of kids between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated cavities.
- Heartburn can be harmful for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as harmful for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. 1
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
We hope you have found this post interesting and perhaps even learned something new about your teeth. At Kernagis Dental Excellence in Tampa, we offer family dentistry, and a wide range of cosmetic dentistry services. Schedule an appointment with us today.